Pithy Comments

In youth, it was a way I had, To do my best to please, And change, with every passing lad, To suit his theories. But now I know the things I know, And do the things I do; And if you do not like me so, To hell, my love, with you! --Dorothy Parker

Monday, June 12, 2006

Cookie Monster

I have a new food obsession. Berger Cookies. I met these morsels of orgasmic cookie delight at a SCI cookout over the weekend. I thought they were homemade cookies. Thick, moist, yummy shortbread cookies slathered in chocolate fudge, they lack the perfect uniform look of store-bought cookies, hence the notion of homemade goodies.

As Nedra and I raved over them, someone at the table said they were burger cookies. I blame the Mike’s Hard Lemonade for my blank stare and my parrot-like repetition of “burger cookies, huh?” Finally we (ok, I) got that the cookies had nothing to do with hamburgers and came from an actual bakery. Everyone else at the table seemed to know all about these cookies and that they are a Baltimore specialty.

As soon as I got home, I started Googling. There I found the correct spelling of Berger Cookies and their history. Started in the 1800’s by the Berger brothers from Germany, Berger cookies have quite the following. They can only be found in Baltimore, but Bergercookies.com allows those away from B’more to fulfill the Berger munchies.
At this writing, it has been less than 24 hrs. since my Bergasm, but I am on my way to Mapquest to find the bakery.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

berger cookies are great!

I"m glad you are blogging still. I'm bored at my internship, so i might start up again.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home