Pithy Comments

In youth, it was a way I had, To do my best to please, And change, with every passing lad, To suit his theories. But now I know the things I know, And do the things I do; And if you do not like me so, To hell, my love, with you! --Dorothy Parker

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Description-Show and Tell


I found this book while I was an undergrad. I was browsing around Barnes and Noble, no doubt reading magazine I had no intention of buying while drinking coffee and somehow saw this book. The cover caught my attention first. I'm a sucker for B&W or vintage looking covers and since this was a collection of newspaper stories, I couldn't resist. (Besides, Cosmo had no good sex tips that month!)

The stories have a wide range of topics. There are light-hearted stories like the rivalry that is the Univ. of Florida/Florida State football games (nothing like 8th grade and GED degree-toting Rednecks getting into a frenzy about UNIVERSITY sports) and the incredibly sad series on Susan Smith who drowned her two little boys in the early '90s.

The bulk of his stories are Southern-fried, so you'll either nod in agreement or roll your eyes in exasperation. I do both!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home